google analytics

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Cinema Paradiso

I love a good film and there’s nothing better than watching a good film in an interesting venue, particularly nostalgic or unusual venues. A friend sent me details of Letchworth Broadway cinema, an art deco building in Letchworth Garden city. It reminded me of other fantastic venues I’ve been to or would like to go to.



The Empire is a lovely family run cinema in Sandwich, Kent. I went with my family. It was lovely: little pots of ice cream at interval and everyone sang along to the film.



The Electric Cinema in Birmingham is fantastic. I went to see a double bill of Spanish movies, ‘La ardilla roja’ or ‘The Red Squirrel’ directed by Julio Medem and ‘Talk to Her’ by Pedro Almodovar, on a quiet Saturday afternoon. Between films we enjoyed a cuppa and home made chocolate cake served on china in the cinema foyer.





A bit closer to home, the excellent Parks Trust have a free Open Air Festival in the summer.

And the bizarre (but in a good way) in London: Films on Fridges, a pop up out door cinema in Hackney where the screen is surrounded by fridges. Linking ideas about waste, sustainability, industrial heritage and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment